25 September 2011

I'm Doing It!

On the eve of the first full week of vet school, I thought it appropriate that I post an update on my first three days.

First of all, WOW. Looking back on all the material we've been given over the first few days of school, it's hard to believe we've only actually been IN school for three days. Three days! It seriously feels like weeks, and the amount of stuff we have to learn is absolutely unbelievable.

That being said, I have managed to surprise myself time and time again over the last few days. I have learned more in such a short period of time than I ever thought was possible, and am actually enjoying the large amount of work and how busy it's keeping me. In high school and undergrad, I wasn't a regular studier. Most of the time my attendance to lectures was enough, and if it wasn't then I'd just spend the night before the exam cramming (and quite miserably, I might add). For these first few days of vet school I've managed to stay on top of the material, and though it takes about 3 hours a night it's very do-able and I'm actually having fun. I did, however, grossly underestimate the number of notecards I would need for use to make flashcards. I bought 600 and have blown my way through nearly 200 in these first few days. Phew!

Even with all the studying I'm managing to work out a rhythm and maintain a life. I have a 5-hour a week work schedule and plan to join a club or two. Speaking of, I only have to pack lunch one day this week; the rest of the days have lunch lectures from various clubs that I might be interested in! So those will be fun. But I used Saturday to do nothing but sleep, and had a fun group study session at the VMAB with some friends this afternoon. I have to do some homework for Epidemiology, study some cell bio, and re-review anatomy, but I feel really good about everything.

I'm hoping this feeling sticks around, and with the help of lots of coffee, eating healthily, exercising, and establishing good study habits I'm pretty confident it will. My strategy at this point is to take it one day at a time. Every day that I walk out of that school I'm another day closer to being a veterinarian. As long as I make sure I get through each individual day, the rest will take care of itself. I'm actually doing it!

2 comments:

  1. YES!!!! Sounds like a balanced approach in your life and a good dose of hopefilled thinking! I love you my neice. You are doing GREAT!!!! I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my first week to! Congrats! We have been thrown a lot so far! thank you undergrad for preparation! So is your cell bio like my histology??? Lots of pink and purple slides??

    ReplyDelete